Walk Queen Charlotte Track
With a soundtrack of bellbirds and a backdrop of the stunning Marlborough Sounds, hiking the Queen Charlotte Track is an experience like no other. Over four days you’ll join an expert local leader as you walk past secluded bays, picturesque coves and native forest, learning about the area’s Maori and European history as you go. But hiking through wild scenery doesn’t mean sacrificing creature comforts – end each day at fabulous lodge accommodation with modern amenities, a perfect way to recharge your batteries. In a country full of views to take your breath away, this corner of New Zealand might just top the list.
Your Holiday Package Includes:
- $700 flight credit per person
- 1 night 4-star accommodation in Wellington
- Ferry transfer from Wellington to Picton
- 1 night 4-star accommodation in Picton
- 3 night Queen Charlotte Track guided walk with Intrepid, Picton return
- Includes 4 meals, hotel accommodation, expert local leader & select activities
- 1 night 4-star accommodation in Picton
- Ferry transfer from Picton to Wellington
- Select private transfers
Pricing is per person twin share and based on travel 11-17 September 2024
Solo traveller pricing available, speak with your travel consultant
Why you'll love this trip:
- Hike sections of the Queen Charlotte Track with an expert local leader, weaving through some of the most awe-inspiring scenery of New Zealand’s South Island while learning about its history.
- Venture from the historic site at Meretoto to the beautiful Endeavour Inlet where you’ll have the chance to explore the bay in a kayak or on a stand up paddleboard.
- Wander along the coastline through gorgeous native bush and listen for the calls of fantails and bellbirds before arriving at the picturesque seaside settlement of Punga Cove.
- The scenery may be wild but your accommodation couldn’t be more comfortable – rest your head each night in well positioned lodges with modern amenities.
Is this trip right for you?
- This trip involves plenty of walking over varied terrain and is best suited to travellers with a good level of mobility. Good footwear, clothing for all types of weather, plus perhaps walking poles are recommended. Details on physical activities can be found in the itinerary.
- Please ensure you consult your local government’s advice regarding domestic travel prior to booking this trip.
Day 1 / Picton / Queen Charlotte Track
Welcome to Picton! Hugging the side of the Queen Charlotte Sound, this seaside town is the jumping off point for your explorations of its famous track. Your adventure gets rolling with a 8:30am welcome meeting (or 8am if your departure runs between May and September) where you’ll link up with your local leader and fellow travellers, then it’s a ferry to Meretoto, also known as Ship Cove. Be sure to keep an eye out for dolphins which can often be spotted swimming alongside the boat! Famed for being James Cooks base for his explorations of the country and a place of shelter for the Maori people, take some time to explore the cove while your leader shares its history. Depart Meretoto and begin today’s hike, climbing away from the coastline through untouched forests of ferns and beech – your leader will point out the fascinating and varied plant life as you go. Pause at a lookout point to admire views of the Queen Charlotte Sound, then descend into Resolution Bay and stop for a picnic lunch (please note you should bring your own picnic lunch for today). Follow the shoreline over an old bridle path to the stunning Endeavour Inlet where you’ll have some downtime to kayak, stand up paddleboard or simply stretch out next to the water and relax. Later in the day, continue to your lodge accommodation and settle in for the night.
Day 2 / Queen Charlotte Track
Wake up to the songs of birds and prepare for another scenic day of walking. Skirt along the coastline through gorgeous native bush while your leader helps you listen for the calls of fantails and bellbirds. Pass by Big Bay, walk through shady forest to Camp Bay, then arrive at the beautiful Punga Cove in the Marlborough Sounds. On arrival, take some time to explore this small but picturesque seaside settlement and perhaps pop into one of the few local eateries for lunch with a view. The afternoon is yours to make the most of your spectacular setting. You may like to hire a kayak to explore the bay’s clear waters, or chill out at your accommodation and make use of the outdoor pool. Your accommodation has a wonderful on-site restaurant for dinner this evening.
Day 3 / Queen Charlotte Track
Today is your longest day of walking and also offers some of the most jaw-dropping scenery – get ready to give your legs and your camera a good workout! Depart from Punga Cove and follow the ridgeline towards the Kenepuru Saddle. Climb to the Eatwells Lookout, taking in sweeping views of the Marlborough Sounds as your leader points out Cook Strait and the Kaikoura Ranges in the distance, then descend to the Torea Saddle. Walk the final stretch to Portage Bay, your base for the night. With remarkable coastal views emerging with every step, this is sure to be a day to remember. This evening, perhaps join your fellow hikers and enjoy an optional but well-earned three course dinner at the excellent restaurant at your hotel and take the time to reminisce with your group about everything you’ve seen on your journey.
Day 4 / Queen Charlotte Track / Picton
Enjoy a morning at leisure to enjoy all that Portage has to offer. You may like to rent a kayak or stand up paddleboard to explore the bay, or perhaps head out snorkelling to discover what lies beneath the water. Then it’s time to leave Portage Bay behind and take a short walk over the saddle to Torea Bay. From here it’s just a quick ferry ride to Picton, where on arrival your adventure will come to an end.
Terms & Conditions
Prices listed are per person in Australian Dollars, based on twin occupancy, including all discounts unless otherwise stated. All bookings are subject to availability. Minimum nights stay may apply. Other travel periods may be available. Some block out dates may apply. Rates may alter depending upon the dates requested and surcharges if applicable. Final booking confirmation only provided once payment has been processed. Contact our travel team for more details. Our Vacation Centre reserves the right to withdraw this promotion without notice at any time. Pricing correct as at 10 January 2024. Visas are not included. Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge. Air credit is applicable on airline of choice, subject to availability and subject to the carriers’ flight schedules and conditions.