Fiji: Hike, Raft & Snorkel
Uncover the real Fiji on an eight-day active adventure from the picturesque coast to the lush highlands. Beginning and ending in Nadi, you’ll weave through the untouched jungle while travelling to Fiji’s most pristine waterfalls and remote villages. Uncover the Fijian way of living off the land with village stays and sacred ceremonial customs. Hike over lush grasslands, raft through Fiji’s volcanic rock interior and snorkel off remote beaches at Nananu-i-Ra Island. Wander through national parks brimming with tropical wildlife and cool off in the sparkling South Pacific waters, experiencing world-class Fijian hospitality along the way.
Your Holiday Package Includes:
- $1000 flight credit per person
- Return airport transfers
- 7 night Hike, Raft & Snorkel Fiji guided tour with Intrepid, Nadi return
- Accommodation - resort, hotel, eco lodge, community hall, beachside cottages
- 14 meals - 7 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners
- Transportation – private vehicle, boat
- Sigatoka Sand Dunes National Park - ranger-guided walk
- Upper Navua Gorge - rafting
- Suva - Fiji Museum, Suva Municipal Market, guided walking tour
- Nabalesere - Savulelele waterfall hike
- Naga Village - welcome ceremony & traditional dinner
- Nananu-i-Ra Island – snorkelling
- Sigatoka River - trek to Nubutautau village
- Nubutautau - village tour
Rate is per person twin share and based on travel 13-20 May 2024
Solo traveller pricing available, speak with your travel consultant
Other travel dates available, surcharges may apply
Why you'll love this trip:
- Walk the beautiful Coral Coast, learning about the cultural significance of the Sigatoka Sand Dunes National Park from a local guide.
- Get your pulse racing as you raft through the heart of Fiji’s highlands at Upper Navua Gorge, and take the plunge with a swim at one of Fiji’s most picture-perfect waterfalls in Nabalesere.
- Relax along the shores of Pacific Harbour, then take a boat to the paradisiacal island of Nananu-i-Ra for a snorkelling adventure with the local tropical fish.
- Go on a full day’s hike through the grasslands into Naga to Nubutautau villages, hearing firsthand about the history of the area from expert guides and local villagers.
- Discover the Fijian centres of Nadi and Suva – with the option to extend your stay before or after the expedition, you’ll be relaxing as soon as you step foot on the island.
Is this trip right for you?
- This is an active trip with several days of point to point hiking. You only carry a day pack, with your main bags (and for any non-hikers) being transferred by vehicle between villages. There are two nights of multi-share stays in the local villages we visit.
- Some of the best scenery in Fiji is found on hikes. So, while this trip doesn't require a high level of fitness, it’s essential to be at least moderately fit and be able to hike regularly if you want to partake in all activities. All travellers will need to be competent swimmers to take part in the rafting section of this trip.
- As we focus on visiting less explored parts of Fiji, there is limited beach time on our itinerary. If you are interested in classic Fiji we recommend spending a few extra days before or after your tour enjoying the beaches and snorkelling in the Mamanuca or Yasawa Islands, a boat ride from Nadi.
- Part of travelling with Intrepid means respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments. We ask for you to please be aware of cultural considerations when entering and staying in local villages. Your tour leader and local guides will assist with local etiquette.
- As we stay in some locations where there are few options for eating out, some meals may be set menus rather than being able to choose from a variety of options. Some accommodation options have limited numbers of different room types, so not everyone may have the same room style.
Day 1 / Nadi
Bula! Welcome to Fiji. Your adventure begins on Fiji’s main island – Viti Levu. Transfer from Nadi International Airport to your hotel and settle into your accommodation on the edge of town. You’ll have a welcome meeting and evening drinks at 6 pm tonight, where you’ll meet your local leader and group members. If you arrive early, why not check out the colours of the Hindu temple Sri Siva Subramaniya Swami, or Nadi Temple as it’s known locally. Try the island’s fresh fruits with the usual tropical suspects (mangoes and pineapples) and some you might not recognise (pomelo, rose apple and soursop) at the Nadi or Namaka Produce Market, open Monday to Sunday. After your meeting, the evening is yours to enjoy – perhaps at a beachside restaurant or in Nadi Town.
Day 2 / Hiking Sigatoka Sand Dunes National Park - Pacific Harbour
After breakfast, head south of Nadi to Sigatoka Sand Dunes National Park. Here, you’ll take a 4 km ranger-guided walk through the incredible dunes, ranging in height from 20 to 60 m – mounds that have formed over millions of years. The views from the sand dunes open out to spectacular scenes along the Coral Coast. Archaeologists have found relics of pottery in the national park dating back 2600 years, and the area is home to an ancient burial site that gives clues to Fiji’s first inhabitants. After the hike, make your way to tonight’s accommodation at Pacific Harbour, where the afternoon is dedicated to chilling out by the pool or along Rovodrau Bay. Settle in ‘cause you’re on island time now!
Day 3 / Rafting Upper Navua Gorge - Pacific Harbour
Gear up for an incredible rafting experience in Fiji’s highlands at Upper Navua Gorge. Ride down rapids naturally carved through the island’s volcanic rock interior, surrounded by towering gorge walls, dense rainforest and dozens of waterfalls. The combination of the dipping parts of the river and biological diversity makes this Fiji’s best spot for rafting. Stop at a lunch spot along the way to get a good feel for the rainforest terrain. After, return to Pacific Harbour for another night in your beachside surroundings.
Day 4 / Suva & Colo-i-Suva
Leave the resort after breakfast and make your way to Fiji’s capital – Suva. When you arrive, you’ll have time to take an optional walk through Suva’s market and the city centre. Then, enjoy a guided visit to the Fiji Museum, which showcases the early history of the island and is home to artifacts dating back up to 3700 years. This afternoon, head to Colo-i-Suva Forest Park for a short hike to palm-fringed freshwater pools where you can take a refreshing dip. Look to the trees for local birdlife, as the park harbours many of Fiji’s endemic bird species, including barking pigeons, golden doves and musk parrots. Later, continue listening to the sounds of the rainforest at the river at your lodge accommodation, on the outskirts of the park.
Day 5 / Hiking Nabalesere - Nananu-i-Ra Island
This morning, drive to Nabalesere village, passing locals living traditional Fijian life along the way. This community is nestled in the province of Ra, where you’ll hear another form of greeting – instead of saying ‘Bula!’ as in other parts of the island, ‘Yadra!’ is used to say hello. When you arrive, your local guide will help the group present a sevusevu to the local village chief – this ceremonial gift is to gain acceptance into the community, often in the form of a kava root. While farming is the main source of income for many Fiji communities, partnering with the village helps to create an additional source of income. Embark on a 1.5-km hike to the breathtaking Savulelele Waterfall – one of Fiji’s most majestic waterfalls, tumbling down from a height of 50 m. After the swim, return to the village for lunch and a hot lemon leaf tea, then travel to the coast, where you’ll take a short boat transfer to Nananu-i-Ra Island to spend the night in beachside cottages.
Day 6 / Snorkel Nananu-i-Ra Island - Naga Village
Soak up island life on Nananu-i-Ra Island this morning – sunrise is the perfect time to relax on the beach or cool off with a swim in the South Pacific. After breakfast, strap on a snorkel and get exploring underwater with your group, looking for colourful tropical fish. Then, maybe take a walk along the island’s ridgeline for some seriously scenic views. In the afternoon, you’ll head inland to Naga village, presenting another sevusevu to be welcomed and invited in. Enjoy a stroll through the surrounding food gardens and join the locals with a communal dinner in the village. Tonight you’ll stay in the basic but comfortable village community hall.
Day 7 / Hiking Nubutautau
Get your hiking shoes on and prepare for today’s 11-km trekking adventure across Fiji’s grasslands and into Nubutautau village. The journey will be broken up with lunch and a rewarding swim along the way, following the scenic Sigatoka River. Arriving later in the afternoon, you’ll spend the night in the village that sits in the heart of the island, with a scenic backdrop of small farms, grassy hills and an evergreen rainforest. Enjoy an insight into local life here and rub shoulders with the locals over a glorious sunset.
Day 8 / Nubutautau - Nadi
This morning, take a cultural tour of the village and learn the history of the region in the 19th century, hearing the story of missionary Rev Baker. For those who want to get more active, you can take an optional walk to a lookout point down the river. Then, continue by 4WD along the ridgeline separating two of Fiji’s major rivers – the Sigatoka and the Ba – and back down to Nadi for lunch in a local cafe. With no more activities planned after lunch, your trip will come to an end. If you would like to spend more time in Nadi, just speak to your booking agent ahead of time to organise additional accommodation. Better yet, why not check out another of Fiji’s picturesque islands, like the nearby Mamanuca or Yasawa clusters.
Terms & Conditions
Prices listed are per person in Australian Dollars, based on twin occupancy, including all discounts unless otherwise stated. The offer is subject to availability at time of booking. Fares are capacity controlled and are subject to change at any time without notice. Prices/Offers are correct as at 09 February 2024 and can be withdrawn without notice. Hotels may charge resort fees not included in this package, payable direct upon check in. Visas are not included. Air credit is applicable on airline of choice, subject to availability and subject to the carriers’ flight schedules and conditions. Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.