Escorted Battlefield Tour: The ANZAC Footsteps
On this 10-day escorted battlefield tour, we will follow the ANZAC footsteps in Borneo (Malaysia) and Vietnam. Whether you are a veteran, family of a veteran, or simply someone who wish to learn more about this important chapter of recent history, this will be a memorable tour for you.
Pay tribute to the fallen soldiers at Sandakan Memorial Park, before you travel to Vietnam and explore the major battlefields fought by the ANZAC during the Vietnam War. Explore Cu Chi Tunnels, Minh Dam Secret Zone, Long Tan, Nui Dat, then commemorate the fallen Australian at Long Tan Cross. End your tour with a visit to the tranquil Mekong Delta.
Your Guided Holiday Includes:
- 24/7 local assistance and travel guidance
- Airport Meet-and-Greet welcome service with the local tour guide
- Escorted Group with an experienced tour leader
- Small group with a maximum of 16 guests
- A unique "local-host" experience exclusively offered by Tweet World Travel
- Vietnam Visa
- International flight from Sandakan to Ho Chi Minh City during the tour with full service airlines:
- Sandakan - Ho Chi Minh City (Via Kuala Lumpur)
- Flight in Economy Class with luggage allowance (optional upgrade to Business Class)
- Stay 7 nights in excellent 4-star and 4-star plus hotels in central location with daily breakfast
- Stay 2 nights at a 4-star riverside lodge in Mekong Delta
- All entrance fees at sights & monuments
- All local government fees & tax
- Comprehensive sightseeing as per itinerary
- Arrival and departure airport transfers in private air-conditioned vehicles
- All touring in air-conditioned vehicles
- Locally based professional drivers
TOUR GUIDE & TOUR LEADER
- English-speaking local tour guides who live and breathe the destination – they will bring your itinerary to life
- For a group of more than 10 people, on top of local tour guides, we will provide an experienced tour director. He or she will oversee your entire journey, accompany you every day and connect you to the people, places, and encounters in a way you will never forget.
- Welcome & Farewell Dinner
- Full Breakfast Daily, Select Lunch, and Dinner as per itinerary
- A Unique & Varied Dining Experience
Day 1. SANDAKAN ARRIVAL (D)
Upon your arrival at Sandakan Airport, your local English-speaking guide and driver will pick you up and transfer you to your hotel. Your evening is at leisure.
Tonight, enjoy a Welcome Dinner. Overnight in Sandakan.
Day 2. SANDAKAN MEMORIAL PARK & WREATH LAYING CEREMONY (B,D)
Today, visit the Sandakan Memorial Park. Learn this history of World War II in Sabah, and witness the wartime relics and remains. We will have a private wreath-laying ceremony at the Park.
Day 3. SANDAKAN - SEPILOK - SANDAKAN (B,L)
After breakfast, you will be picked up from your hotel & will depart for a 30 minute drive to Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre. At this Centre, observe man’s closest relative “the Orang Utan” being rehabilitated to return to their natural habitat in the wild and experience a walk in the Tropical Lowland Dipterocarp Forest of Borneo. Witness the feeding of Orang Utan at 1000hrs at the feeding platform and proceed to the Orang Utan Nursery. Later, continue to the Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre. The Centre that has managed to improve the living conditions of the rescued sun bear and release their natural behaviour in the 2.5ha enclosed forest. pAfter lunch, you will be transferred back to Sandakan. Enjoy the rest of your day at leisure.
Day 4. SANDAKAN - HO CHI MINH CITY (B,D)
Enjoy your morning in Sandakan at leisure. Then take an international flight to Ho Chi Minh City (via Kuala Lumpur).
On arrival in Ho Chi Minh City, you will be welcomed and transferred to your hotel. In the evening, join a welcome dinner on a fascinating dinner cruise along the Saigon river.
Day 5. CU CHI TUNNEL DAY TOUR (B,L)
In the morning, you will be picked up at your hotel for a sightseeing tour to Cu Chi Tunnels. Explore the infamous Cu Chi Tunnel, an immense network of underground tunnels used by the Vietcong as a military base.
Day 6. HO CHI MINH CITY MORNING TOUR - TRANSFER TO VUNG TAU (B,L,D)
In the morning, we will visit the major sights of Ho Chi Minh City including the Reunification Palace, war Remnant Museum, Notre Dame Cathedral, Old Post Office and Ben Thanh Market. After lunch, we will travel to the seaside town of Vung Tau. Check in and enjoy the rest of your day at leisure.
Day 7. LONG TAN - NUI DAT DAY TOUR (B,L,D)
Today we learn about the battle of Long Tan where the Australian (ANZAC) military engaged in the Vietnam War./p pVisit important sites from the battle including Long Tan Cross, the Long Phuoc tunnels, Horseshoe FSB, and Nui Dat (SAS hill)./p pReturn to your hotel in Vung Tau to freshen up before enjoying your included dinner. Overnight in Vung Tau.
Day 8. MINH DAM SECRET ZONE - MEKONG DELTA (B,L,D)
Today we will visit some major sites from the Vietnam War, before transferring to the tranquil Mekong Delta. During the war Long Hai Hill, known as Minh Dam secret zone, was the Viet Cong's base area. This area was the major battlefield between the Viet Cong and Australian diggers. Then travel to the Mekong Delta (4 hour drive). Lunch will be served at a local restaurant. Overnight in Mekong Delta
Day 9. MEKONG DELTA (B,L,D)
During our stay in the Mekong Delta area we will visit the Cao Dai Temple, Cai Be Cathedral; handicraft workshops of rice paste, coconut candies, pop-rice, pop-corn and Ba Kiet ancient house. We will also visit local schools/p pEnjoy lunch and dinner at local restaurants. Today's activities could include: cycling to a handicraft village, experience in making handbags, rice papers; cooking class at hotel. Overnight in the Mekong Delta area hotel.
Day 10. MEKONG DELTA - HO CHI MINH CITY - DEPARTURE (B,L)
This morning we will visit Cai Be floating markets, and take row boat along the canals, seeing the daily local life. Check out after lunch then back to Ho Chi Minh City in the early afternoon. You will be transferred to the airport for your departure flight. We recommend late afternoon/evening flight.
Terms & Conditions
* Conditions apply. Offer is limited, subject to availability and change without notice. Promotion is correct and valid at the time of publication. Booking and full supplier terms and conditions apply. Valid for new bookings only and not combinable with any other offer (unless stated).
Prices listed are per person in Australian Dollars, based on twin occupancy, including all discounts unless otherwise stated. The offer is subject to availability at time of booking . Fares are capacity controlled and are subject to change at any time without notice. Prices and routing is a guide only and may change. Prices/Offers are correct as at 19 April 2021 and can be withdrawn without notice. Hotels may charge resort fees not included in this package, payable direct upon check in. All passports, vaccinations and visas are the responsibility of the travelling guest to secure prior to departure. International airfares are not included.