Otago Central Cycle Rail Trail
This independent cycle adventure is a 4-day / 3-night cycle tour combining three impressive cycle trails; the Otago Central Rail Trail, Roxburgh Gorge and Clutha Gold Trail.
Spend the first day exploring the famous Otago Central Rail Trail cycling from Auripo to Alexandra. This mostly downhill section takes in one of the most scenic parts of the trail, the Poolburn Gorge.
The following three days are spent making your way from Alexandra to Lawrence on The Roxburgh Gorge and Clutha Gold Trails. This includes the spectacular and remote Roxburgh Gorge
The trail is wide and has a great surface, though in places, it can be steeper than the Rail Trail, with some climbs and downhill sections. The scenery through remote gorges, lush farmland and following the majestic Clutha River is amazing.
- Cycle equipment: trail bicycle, helmet, repair kit, panniers and odometer.
- 3 nights accommodation based on standard, twin share
- 3 breakfasts
- Daily luggage transfer - weight limit of 15kg
- Personalised itinerary and map
- Jet boat transfer - Doctors Point to Shingle Creek
- Transport Lawrence to Clyde or onto Dunedin. (Transport to/from Queenstown or other transport can be added)
- Transport if you do not wish to cycle one of the days
- Emergency trail support
- E-bikes - optional upgrade from $71pp/per day
Based on travel for 11 – 14 October 2021
Alternate departure dates available
Call us today to add on flights!
- Venture through tunnels and across viaducts in the spectacular Poolburn Gorge
- Appreciate the dramatic landscapes and distinctive Central Otago climate
- Explore small townships both on and off the trail and experience ‘southern hospitality’
- Follow the flow of the might Clutha River/Mata Au through dramatic gorges, past orchards and lush farmland
Day 1 Auripo to Chatto Creek Distance: 29.5kms Meals: N/A
Your adventure starts at 9:00am at our Clyde Depot where you will be fitted on your bikes then briefed on your tour. We will transport you into the peace of the Ida Valley to Auripo. The ride will take you through the Poolburn Gorge featuring tunnels and viaducts in a secluded rocky setting. The next town is Omakau where you can have lunch, then it is back on
the bikes to cycle the remainder of the trail through to Chatto Creek where Trail Journeys shuttle will collect you for transfer back to your accommodation in Clyde.
Day 2 Clyde to Lake Roxburgh Village Distance: 29-37kms Meals: Breakfast
From Clyde, you can cycle past vineyards and over an old wooden trestle bridge to Alexandra. Alternatively, there is the option of riding on the River Track to Alexandra; this adds another 8km, but well worth it if time and energy allow. In Alexandra, you will connect with the start of the Roxburgh Gorge Trail and cycle to Doctors Point. Here a local boat operator will meet and transfer you Shingle Creek, and along the way, there is the chance to take in the stunning scenery and listen to an informative, historical commentary. The trail continues through the gorge to Lake Roxburgh Village passing the Roxburgh Dam Lookout with some great photo opportunities. Accommodation is at Lake Roxburgh Village.
Day 3 Lake Roxburgh Village to Millers Flat Distance: 30kms Meals: Breakfast
The Clutha Gold Trail passes Roxburgh township following the Clutha River / Mata-Au to Millers Flat where you will stay overnight. There are many opportunities to see evidence of the gold mining days as the trail follows the turquoise coloured waters of the river. Lunch options are available to purchase at Roxburgh or Millers Flat.
Day 4 Millers Flat to Lawrence Distance: 44kms Meals: Breakfast
From Millers Flat, continue following the river through the Beaumont Gorge before leaving the river and head through rolling farmland. Parts of this route is on an old railbed as the trail passes through Tunnel Hill and onto your final destination of the historic gold mining township of Lawrence. It is an interesting town to explore, and there will be time for lunch before
your mid-afternoon transport back to Clyde.
Terms & Conditions
* Conditions apply. Offer is limited, subject to availability and change without notice. Promotion is correct and valid at the time of publication. Booking and full supplier terms and conditions apply. Valid for new bookings only and not combinable with any other offer (unless stated).
Prices listed are per person in Australian/New Zealand Dollars, based on twin occupancy, including all discounts unless otherwise stated. Fares are capacity controlled and are subject to change at any time without notice. Prices/Offers are correct as at 16 July 2021 and can be withdrawn without notice. Payments made by credit card will incur a surcharge.